Friday, November 8, 2013

Metropolis - Chapter 36 & The Pre-History of my Comic Collecting.

Hiya

Click Image to enlarge.




 Download the F.Y.O.C version here.




 




The Pre-History of my Comic Collecting.

Here's a story that may sound familiar to some of you.

It occurred to me recently that I collected comic strips way before I ever discovered comic books.  I must have been under 10 year old; so sometime around the late 70's.  

When I was growing up we did not get the local paper (then called the Kitchener-Waterloo Record).  Whenever I did come across a newspaper, I would clip the comic strip page.  I didn't clip the individual strips, I left the page whole.  I don't remember how many I had but I remember a number of them had turned quite yellow.

The best part of this memory is how I stored them.  I don't remember when (1978 maybe) but I got the Star Wars Death Star for Christmas.  I kept the box.  It become a piece of decorative furniture that stood beside my bed.  I kept the comic strips in that box.

I have fond memories now of opening that humungous box and reading the pages over and over again.

I can't remember when I got rid of the box and all the strips inside.  Knowing myself; I probably was a little trepid about it.

Since that time, my only exposure to comics was borrowing Asterix, Tin Tin and Peanuts (by Charles M. Schulz) books from my local library; which I did repeatedly.

Later on in August 1984, I bought my very first comic book with the intention of collecting.  It was G.I. Joe #26 from Marvel comics and written by the great Larry Hama.  (I didn't have to look that up.  I know it by heart.)  It didn't dawn on at the time, but my little twelve year old brain was already primed to read comics years before.

PS: I still have the Death Star and Issue #26.

Have a great day.











No comments:

Post a Comment